1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.


Sunday, September 18, 2011

Weekly Report for Sept. 12-16



My dh got berated this week for homeschooling by a co-worker. Why do so many people think that we (homeschoolers) would care one cent worth what they think? The sad thing is that this co-worker has a daughter who was a public school teacher and quite her job to homeschool her children. How sad that she is so adamantly against it.

Anyway...

So in Language Arts Josiah (ds11) has finished the third level analysis of Grammar Town. He's doing very well Practice Town though they are getting a little more difficult for him. I'm thinking I really should have picked up Voyage for him instead. I don't think that he has misspelled any words this year in Sequential Spelling. His Italics is beautiful lately and I'm hoping that it translates more into his daily writing soon. I know this will take some time. He's about half-way through Birth of Britain Book One and is really enjoying Once and Future King. I think he will have them finished by end of next week. Math was slow this week, he did 1 chapter. I am so looking forward to being finished with Epsilon. Science was done on his own. I don't think he is very interested, but really enjoyed building and flying paper airplanes. Latin and Logic were done. Logic is still a little fuzzy for us both. He did some typing practice. He did some art.

Micah (ds9) has finished the second level analysis of Grammar Island. I really love that it doesn't require a ton of writing for ds. Practice Island is going well, ds is having a little trouble finding prepositions, the subject and sentence compliments, but I think we had a light bulb moment after rereading those sections. His is doing well with SS. It seems the right level for him, but it takes him twice as long to write out the words then it would take for him to do them orally. He's reading Ten Queens: portraits of women of Power for history which he is thoroughly enjoying. He has read Story of the World vol. 2 twice this year and is reading through it again. History is his favorite subject this year. He has finally gotten into volume in Delta. I think he may finish it next week or the week after. He's looking forward to fractions. He did science with some help with the Note-booking. He breezed through both Latin and Logic. He did typing. We did a little art but didn't have time for much else.

Zechariah (ds7) is doing wonderfully with First Language Lessons and I'm glad that I waited to have him do it this year then last. We are speeding through the lessons. He has an incredible memory. And I am finally seeing some of his exceptional thinking skills translated into academics that I hadn't really seen in Kindergarten. Italics is going well. He is finally writing the letters correctly on the page. He missed one spelling word because he wasn't paying attention. He seems to be a natural speller. He listened to Story of the World vol. 2 and did narrations. He did Math on his own. The writing aspect is really slowing him down though. He did Logic, I can't tell if he enjoys it or not. We did some art and lots of playing.

Selah (dd4) is enjoying school. She isn't all that into writing but will do the few pages that I offer as long as they aren't "too" hard. She would do starfall all day if I let her. haha

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful week. Pay no attention to the naysayers, they know not whereof they speak!

    ReplyDelete