1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.


Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Making Space Part One: The Space That Silence Affords

I have written a twelve part series of blog posts themed around creating space in our lives. All that I have written are either things that I have already explored in my personal life journey or am currently exploring. I do not intend it as a pointing finger at you dear reader.

It is my hope that it will be a blessing to you. However, if my candor offends you, I ask now for forgiveness. And also ask that you may pause to consider why it has caused offense.

Part One of Twelve: The Space That Silence Affords

So many things go through my mind in the wee hours of the morning. In the silence when the rest of the world sleeps and my brain pounds its unrelenting rhythm, I am often afforded much needed time to reflect on my world. On the moments that try to slip away unrestrained.

Life never stops long. It doesn't often give us a moment to take a breath. We have to seize those moments of solitude when they present themselves. Sometimes that means a little less sleep.

But times alone to reflect are important to the sanity and stability of the soul. When all I hear is the soft breathing of my husband and children, the purring of the cat by my side, the rhythmic ticking of the clock, I am reminded of the peace that God gives us when we stop to notice it.

It is now, in this silence, in this space that hope rises. "It” is in the space. “It” is that thing that's on the tip of our tongue, in the corner of our mind, that thing that is just out of reach, that calls to our soul...that gives us purpose.

But we miss it. We miss it because we must fill our sphere with “stuff”. We must fill our expanse with sound and words, with movement and action, with things and things and still more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment